The Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal is set to deliver its judgment today, deciding the fate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, in their challenge against the election of Governor Monday Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The PDP and Ighodalo argue that the September 21, 2024, election was marred by irregularities and did not comply with electoral laws. They are contesting the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) decision to declare Okpebholo the winner.
On Tuesday, a leaked document claimed that the tribunal had already dismissed the PDP’s petition and upheld Okpebholo’s victory. This led to confusion as the judgment had not yet been officially announced.
Reacting to the situation, PDP’s National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, dismissed the leaked judgment, stating that it was unreliable. He urged the public to wait for the official tribunal decision before drawing conclusions.
“People shouldn’t believe everything they see online,” Ologunagba said. “Let the court deliver its judgment first, then we will respond.
Ahead of the ruling, Governor Monday Okpebholo called for peace and unity among residents of Edo State. In a statement released by his Chief Press Secretary, Fred Itua, the governor expressed confidence in the judiciary and urged citizens to respect the tribunal’s decision.
“The tribunal’s ruling is an essential part of our democracy,” Okpebholo said. “We must focus on the progress and development of our state and not let political differences divide us.”
As Edo State awaits the official judgment, all eyes are on the tribunal to see how the case unfolds.