Elon Musk has denied reports that he will step down from his government role in the coming months, calling the claims “fake news.”
A senior White House official previously told NBC News that former President Donald Trump discussed Musk’s return to the private sector during a cabinet meeting. Politico also reported that Musk, who is an adviser and special government employee, would be leaving due to controversy over his policies and Tesla’s stock decline.
After these reports surfaced, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt called them “garbage.” She stated that both Musk and Trump had already said he would leave his government role once his work at the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) is finished.
Musk himself responded on X, simply saying, “Yeah, fake news.”
NBC News reported that Musk is expected to leave by May 30, marking the end of his 130-day term as a special government employee. However, it remains uncertain if he will actually leave on that date.
The White House previously stated that DOGE, a temporary department, would be shut down on July 4 next year, coinciding with the 250th anniversary of the United States.
Musk recently revealed that some members of his DOGE team have received daily death threats. His efforts to shrink the federal government have been widely criticized. In just weeks, entire agencies have been shut down, and tens of thousands of federal employees have either been fired or resigned. These drastic cuts have led to multiple lawsuits being filed in state and federal courts.
Musk remains firm in his position, continuing his government work while denying rumors about his departure.
