The Trump administration will expand deployments of advanced U.S. missile systems to the Philippines as part of a broader effort to reinforce deterrence in the Indo-Pacific, following high-level bilateral talks held Feb. 16 in Manila.
In a joint statement issued after the 12th Philippines–United States Bilateral Strategic Dialogue, the U.S. Department of State and Philippine officials reaffirmed their commitment to deepening economic, political, and defense cooperation, with a particular focus on countering destabilizing activities in the South China Sea.
Both governments “condemned China’s illegal, coercive, aggressive, and deceptive activities in the South China Sea,” citing their impact on regional stability and global economic security. The statement emphasized the need to reestablish credible deterrence and maintain a “free, open, prosperous, and secure Indo-Pacific.”
Expanded Missile Deployments Planned
Under the new framework, Washington pledged to “continue and work to increase deployments of U.S. cutting-edge missile and unmanned systems to the Philippines,” while also expanding and modernizing Manila’s civilian and military cyber defense capabilities.
The United States first deployed its mid-range Typhon missile system to northern Luzon in April 2024, followed by the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System (NMESIS), an anti-ship missile launcher, in April 2025. Both systems remain in the country.
Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has rejected calls from Beijing to withdraw the systems, underscoring Manila’s sovereign right to strengthen its defenses.
Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel Romualdez said defense officials also discussed the potential deployment this year of upgraded U.S. missile launchers that Manila may eventually acquire.
“It’s a kind of system that’s really very sophisticated and will be deployed here in the hope that, down the road, we will be able to get our own,” Romualdez told The Associated Press. He stressed that the missile deployments are “purely for deterrence,” adding that continued Chinese assertiveness only reinforces Manila’s resolve.
Strengthening Collective Defense
The dialogue, first convened in 2011 and last hosted in April 2024, reaffirmed both nations’ “unwavering commitment” to upholding international law, freedom of navigation, and the peaceful resolution of disputes.
The statement underscored the importance of collective defense across the First Island Chain—a strategic arc stretching from Japan through Taiwan and the Philippines to the Malay Peninsula—described as critical to deterring aggression and ensuring open sea lanes.
Tensions have escalated in recent years, with Manila accusing Beijing of ramming Philippine vessels, using water cannons, and firing flares near contested features in the South China Sea, particularly around Sabina Shoal.
After an October 2025 collision involving a Chinese coast guard vessel and a Philippine government ship, Washington reaffirmed that the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty applies to armed attacks on Philippine forces, public vessels, or aircraft in the South China Sea.
Broader Strategic Cooperation
The Feb. 16 statement also highlighted recent milestones in bilateral ties, including a 2025 meeting in Washington between U.S. President Donald Trump and Marcos Jr., as well as Manila’s accession to the U.S.-led Artemis Accords on space cooperation in October 2025.
Both sides reiterated the importance of maintaining peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait, amid growing concern over large-scale Chinese military exercises near Taiwan late last year.
As strategic competition intensifies in the Indo-Pacific, Washington and Manila signaled their intent to further integrate defense planning, enhance interoperability, and expand advanced weapons deployments to preserve regional security and stability.





