The right Naija news at your fingertips

Iran condemns new US sanctions, says it is a ‘sign of hostility’

Iran has strongly criticized the new US sanctions, calling them a “clear sign of hostility.” On Monday, February 24, the US blacklisted over 30 individuals and vessels linked to Iran’s oil trade. This is the second time in a month that Washington has imposed such measures under its “maximum pressure” policy.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman, Esmaeil Baqaei, said the sanctions were an act of aggression. He argued that they harm the welfare and development of the Iranian people. According to him, the move is unjustified, violates human rights, and Washington should be held responsible for its consequences.

Despite these sanctions, US President Donald Trump has said he wants dialogue with Iran and hopes the country will be “great and successful.” However, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has rejected any direct talks about Iran’s nuclear program if they come under “pressure, threat, or sanctions.”

The US had withdrawn from the 2015 nuclear deal during Trump’s first term, reimposing sanctions in 2018. Since then, Iran has slowly reduced its commitments to the agreement.

On Monday, February 24, Iran restarted nuclear discussions with Britain, France, and Germany. Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said another round of talks with European officials is expected in three weeks.

Related News